Equal Housing Opportunity
It is the policy of Ramona Property Managers, Inc. not to discriminate against anyone in any aspect of the rental of dwellings because of race, color, national origin, sex, handicap, familial status or religion.
This policy means, among other things, that Ramona Property Managers, Inc. will:
(a) always truthfully provide any person who inquires about an apartment for rent a reasonable number of apartments available for rent that meet the person’s stated criteria;
(b) never select, choose, recommend or suggest a particular apartment to anyone;
(c) never fail to inform someone of an available apartment;
(d) never discourage anyone from renting an apartment;
(e) never provide varying and/or untrue information about the availability and/or price of a unit; and
(f) never provide or withhold tenant services, repairs or amenities because of a person’s race, color, national origin, sex, handicap, familial status or religion.
COMPLETE APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
All applicants must be of legal age. Each person 18 years of age or older is required to complete an application and pay any and all applicable fees.
All Occupants, including those under the age of 18, who will reside in the unit must be disclosed. Any person residing in the unit more than 14 days in a calendar year are considered an Occupant. Occupants are authorized to reside in the unit but are not the adult(s) signing the lease.
Applications are to be completed in full with all blanks completed and all questions fully answered. Applications containing untrue, incorrect, or misleading information will be denied.
In addition to the above requirements, a complete application must also include:
- Uploaded government-issued picture identification such as military identification, driver’s license or passport for each person 18 and over. ALL applicants are REQUIRED to show valid photo identification.
- Uploaded photo of each applicant holding the government-issued picture identification such as military identification, driver’s license or passport. ALL applicants are REQUIRED to show a photo of the applicant holding valid photo identification.
- Uploaded proof of income from each applicant. Generally accepted documentation may include three consecutive recent paystubs, most recent tax return, W2, Statement of Social Security Benefits, Executed Employment Offer Letter (if new on the job), bank statements showing additional deposits, or proof of additional verifiable sources of income e.g., public assistance, veteran’s benefits, supplemental security income or other retirement programs, Section 8 or other housing vouchers. If rent is paid by a government or state or non-profit agency, a copy of the voucher or paperwork confirming payment is required.
- On properties that accept pets we require an uploaded picture of the pet, description including breed, age, weight, sex and neutered status, and proof of licensing and inoculation. If the application is approved additional pet deposit, pet rent or administrative fees may apply. Please check with management for the pet policy for the property to which you submit your application. We grant reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities who require a service or support animal. These requests are analyzed on a case-by-case basis. In some situations, additional documentation or verification may be required.
- A $50.00 application fee paid for each applicant. The application fee is non-refundable unless otherwise provided by state or local law. The cost represents the cost of obtaining a tenant screening report.
- Any additional information as detailed in the remainder of this policy.
- All applicants must either personally tour the property or have a representative tour the property before they will be approved.
PROCEDURE AFTER APPLICATION SUBMISSION
- After you submit your complete application, the landlord will note the date and time of the received application.
- If approved, the property manager will prepare the lease documents and send it to you for your review. Execution of the lease documents and payment of deposit within 24 hrs of approval is required. Payment must be in the form of electronic funds. Alternatively, and in limited cases where an applicant does not have an email address, our office may accept certified funds.If these timelines are not met, we will begin processing other applications.
- All lease start dates must be within 21 days of application approval, provided property is available.
- When a screening report is approved with conditions, these conditions must be met within 24 hrs in order to maintain first position for the property.
As part of your rental application process, Appfolio will create a rental report that accesses up to three types of information about you: 1) credit/financial records; 2) eviction/criminal history; and 3) rental history. Any negative, misleading, or unverifiable information may result in the denial of your application.
**If you do not have a Social Security Number or ITIN, please call our office at 626-448-7882 for assistance completing your application. Ramona Property Managers does not discriminate based on immigration status; our Application Software is in the process of being updated to meet these requirements**
Ramona Property Managers uses a weighted score when there is more than one application for a single household.
- Example #1: Where 3 applications are submitted for a single household, 2 are approved and 1 is conditionally approved, the application would be conditionally approved and subject to an increased deposit.
- Example #2: Where 2 applications are submitted for a single household, 1 is approved and 1 is conditionally approved, the application would be conditionally approved and subject to an increased deposit.
- Written verification of monthly household income must be equal to or greater than 2.5 times the monthly rental amount. Monthly income of less than 2.5 will not be approved.
- A business landline may be required to verify employment. 12 months employment with your current employer is required. May be combined with previous employment in the same field of work. Alternatively, a signed Offer of Employment will be accepted for new hires. Acceptable documentation varies based on the income source.
- Unemployed/Non-working applicants must provide proof of income meeting the monthly requirement from other sources of verifiable income or a minimum average balance in a savings account equal to eight months of rent, for the last six months.
- Self-employed applicants are required to provide two years of tax returns and 90 days’ worth of bank statements, showing that they meet the criteria. If they cannot provide two years, but can provide one year, and meets credit criteria, applicants may be Conditionally Approved.
- Non-working or retired applicants need to provide copies of deposit slips, investment earnings, and or social security earnings.
Applicants may use additional sources of income to meet the requirement, such as child support, unemployment insurance, trust funds, government programs, etc.
- Management reserves the right to verify the applicant’s residence history for the previous 12 months. 12 months of positive, contiguous rental history is required. Valid rental history requires a written lease or month to month agreement. A verified mortgage is accepted in lieu of rental history.
- Resident history that indicates multiple late payments, returned checks, poor housekeeping, conduct disturbing the rights of others, unauthorized occupants, property damage, or failure to adhere to the rules of the prior rental agreement will result in denial.
- Applicants that do not have 12 months of positive, contiguous rental criteria, from a third party, but do meet credit criteria, may be accepted with an additional half month’s security deposit.
- First time renters must meet the credit criteria, and provide additional half month’s security deposit. First time renters without established credit must provide additional one month’s security deposit.
- Applications for residency will automatically denied if any of the following factors exist:
- Outstanding debt to a previous landlord or outstanding NSF payments. If the applicant pays the debt in full, the applicant will be considered.
- A breach of a prior lease or prior eviction of any applicant or occupant.
- More than 4 late pays or 2 NSF payments in the last 24 months
- A credit report will be run by Appfolio.
- Maximum balance of unpaid collections is $500.
- Maximum percentage of past due negative accounts must be less than 25% of total accounts.
- Applications with bankruptcy or repossession within the last two (2) years may be grounds for denial or may require a co-signer.
- Applicants must have no evictions or unpaid landlord charges. Any eviction history during the COVID-19 moratorium cannot be considered.
- First time renters or renters without established credit may require an additional security deposit. Applicants without six months of established good credit will require additional one month’s security deposit.
- Applicants with overdue debt totaling more than $500 but less than $1000 may be approved with additional one month’s security deposit.
- Applicants with overdue debt totaling more than $1000 will be denied.
- Medical and student debt is excluded from credit evaluation.
- Ramona Property Managers Property Management does not accept Comprehensive Reusable Tenant Screening Reports.
CRIMINAL CHARGES/CONVICTIONS (Applies to all members of the household)
A criminal conviction for crimes of violence, crimes against persons or property crimes could negatively impact your application. A criminal records search will be performed for felony and misdemeanor offenses. All felony and misdemeanor offenses must be disclosed on the rental application. For applicants with a criminal record, an additional review and individual assessment will be performed before any decision is made. Management will consider the nature and severity of the crime, number and types of convictions, time that has elapsed since the conviction, and any evidence provided by the applicant supporting their rehabilitation efforts.
GROUNDS FOR DENIAL (Applies to All Applicants)
- Verified eviction showing on credit report or confirmed with landlord within the last 5 years. Any eviction history during the COVID-19 moratorium cannot be considered.
- An Unlawful Detainer or eviction over 5 years old, which has been paid, may be approved provided the applicant meets credit criteria and with an added security deposit of one month
- Rental collection verified on credit report of over $1000 or a balance owing to landlord.
- Not meeting credit criteria.
- Breaking lease agreement that resulted in collection filing.
- Lack of 12 months of continuous, positive rental history.
- Inability to provide required proof of income meeting the requirement.
- Extreme negative and adverse rental history, e.g. documented complaints and/or damages, multiple late payments or notices to pay or vacate with a statement by the landlord of “WOULD NOT RE-RENT”.
- Any current notice to vacate or unlawful detainer or eviction.
- Open bankruptcy.
- Falsification or gross distortion of the truth on the rental application or made to a staff member.
- Incomplete application.
- Any undisclosed previous rental address.
- Lack of response from applicant for additional information after 48 hrs.
If the applicant has not provided necessary information within 48 hours, application will be denied and RPM will begin processing the next application.
HOW YOU CAN REMOVE INCORRECT INFORMATION
Ramona Property Managers is committed to accuracy and will investigate any information you dispute. Contact email@example.com. For specific information about filing a dispute, please see www.appfolio.com/consumer.
In the event of a denial or other adverse action, you have a right to obtain a free copy of your rental report from Appfolio, and to dispute the accuracy of any information appearing in it. You may contact Consumer Relations by phone (866) 359-3630; or mail at 50 Castilian Relations Goleta, CA 93117. For more information, visit https://www.appfolio.com/consumer/inquiry.
The screening process will take 3-5 business days if you have provided all the required documentation and your references have responded in a timely manner.
RPM will contact you once approved to schedule a lease signing. RPM is required to continue to advertise the property until a lease is signed and the required initial funds are collected.
Rental approval is also based on real data and statistical data such as payment history, quantity and type of accounts, outstanding debt, and age of accounts. Every applicant is treated objectively because each application is scored statistically in exactly the same manner.
OPTIONS IF DENIED
- If your application is denied due to unfavorable information received on your screening report you may:
- Contact Ramona Property Managers to discuss your application and identify any unfavorable information.
- Supply Ramona Property Managers with proof of any incorrect or incomplete information.
- Request that Ramona Property Managers re-evaluate and re-report your screening information and rental score to Management.
HOW YOU CAN IMPROVE YOUR RENTAL SCORE
Your rental score results from information found in your credit report, criminal history, references, and application data. Such information may include your history of paying bills and rent, the accounts you have, collections and delinquencies, income and debt. Your rental score may change if the underlying information it is based upon changes.
To improve your score, concentrate on paying your bills on time, paying down outstanding balances, and removing incorrect information. Your chances of approval may also improve if you apply for an apartment with lower monthly rent, or use a guarantor or co-signer if permitted by Management.